League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Unseen vs Seen Potential

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Unseen vs Seen Potential

Post by WillyJakkz »

I know it's been brought up before but can't find thread etc but isn't there unseen player potential that's blind to the scouts?

For instance Player A scouted as 80 max Category X rating potential but actually surpasses it once fully developed?

Asking because wouldn't it make sense considering if scouts can see the full potential and players are limited to said scouted potential it wouldn't be quite as realistic as real life?

Players ratings that come to mind are Giannis Antetokounmpo Jimmy Butler among others while on the opposite side of the spectrum Otto Porter stands out that seem to fit in this category of unseen vs seen potential.
Last edited by WillyJakkz on Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Re: Unseen vs Seen Potential

Post by Dennis »

Im not 100% sure I understood your question.

But every player has a set potential that never changes (only the simmer and admins can see the true potentials). Though every scout/GM accout sees different potentials that also change with every "player update" (Jan 8th, March 20th, TC). So it looks like a player "improved" his potentials, still only your scout changed his opinion about the player.

I hope that helps and answers your question.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I think players have REAL potential ratings like Dennis said but our scouts don't show them while their still young and rare. When the get to 24-25 years, with 3 or 4 exp years, reaching their ceiling, scouts start to show more accurate ratings for potentials.

As for real potential and development, I think a player can develop more / less than his REAL potential. This is because of playing time, work ethic, etc, and can't be controlled even by admins. While admins can see true potentials, they don't know if a player can develop more than his potentials or if he's a bust and will never develop..
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Basically what is said above is true. There's a real potential, which is seen by commissioners, and there is the "perceived potential," which is what your scouts see. This perceived potential can be all over the place, it can be higher or lower than the real potential, and the more times you scout a player (TC, Jan 8th, March 20th, etc), the more accurate your perceptions will become. By the time they've reached their fifth full season, you basically will know exactly what that player will be.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Thanks guys you've been a big help and yes Dennis you answered my question.

I thought I remembered a discussion about the admins seeing a different potential than our scouts.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Myles wrote:Basically what is said above is true. There's a real potential, which is seen by commissioners, and there is the "perceived potential," which is what your scouts see. This perceived potential can be all over the place, it can be higher or lower than the real potential, and the more times you scout a player (TC, Jan 8th, March 20th, etc), the more accurate your perceptions will become. By the time they've reached their fifth full season, you basically will know exactly what that player will be.
So my Q now, can a player eventually reach a higher value than his real potential was? I mean, can he not only improve in his current skills but also potentials, say, if he gets lots of playing time and opportunities?
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

I've never seen that happen but it's also not something I've ever watched closely.