League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Floor range

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Floor range

Post by mgtr81 »

So, does editing this actually work?

On June 7h (real date) Wendell Carter was told +10 corner / -10 midrange ... that means, he had 20 % corner preference and after that 30 % corner preference. While I cannot tell the exact number of games played since then, my guess would be around 25, given the changes were implemented on the sim on Monday June 15th. Since he has played 53 games, that means almost half of them have been with the new floor range preferences.

Before the change he was attempting 7.6 % of his field goals from three-point range. Now he is attempting 8.1 %. It seems to me that the difference is too small. I know there is a problem related to his low catch and shoot and pull up jumper ball actions, and I will be working on that, but just wanted to share to know if this changes to floor range do actually work.

In Troy Brown's case, instructions on ball actions seem to have worked properly (+2 pull up jumper / -2 drive&shoot). So that's why I was thinking that maybe ball actions were effective and floor range not so much, because actually the ones you can instruct in-game are ball actions only.

In previous versions of the game, depending on how you implemented changes in shooting preferences they had no impact.

Thanks in advance.
ImageImageImageImageImage

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Re: Floor range

Post by andrei »

this is a good discussion and looks like indeed the Ball Actions determine the result for Carter.

The way I see it is Floor Range is where you like to catch the ball and the Ball Actions are what you want to do with it once you have it. So, according to this logic, Carter caught the ball more in the corner but still continued to get to the basket and hence did not attempt much corner shots.

Also, looks to me like Corner is not only threes but also there are closer corner locations on both right and left in the shot chart - I wonder if this is Corner or Mid Range.

One thing I am not clear though - a player who is set to drive a lot i.e. Drive/Shoot or Drive/Pass - does Floor Range matter to them since they will try to get to the basket anyway i.e. is it easier to drive from ATB than Mid-Range? Or is it completely irrelevant.
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

andrei wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:47 pm this is a good discussion and looks like indeed the Ball Actions determine the result for Carter.

The way I see it is Floor Range is where you like to catch the ball and the Ball Actions are what you want to do with it once you have it. So, according to this logic, Carter caught the ball more in the corner but still continued to get to the basket and hence did not attempt much corner shots.
Yeah, thats how I've interpreted the Floor Range/Ball Actions.
andrei wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:47 pm Also, looks to me like Corner is not only threes but also there are closer corner locations on both right and left in the shot chart - I wonder if this is Corner or Mid Range.
The right and left blocks, between the paint and the corner 3, are mid range. You can look at Markkanen for the example. He's got 62% Post, 0% Midrange, 27% Corner, and 11% ATB. He mostly posts up inside the paint, and you can see this based on his shot chart. You can see that, between the post and the corner, he'll still occasionally take shots from the wings/elbows.

I think the big thing is that although Markkanen is at 0% Midrange, he still shoots from the midrange. This may be due to his post up, but I also think it's due to his Ball Actions. His highest actions are(other than Pass at 56%) Post Up with 22%, Drive/Shot with 10%, and Catch&Shoot with 8%. He will PullUp Jumper 2% of the time, with another Drive/Pass at 2%. This tells me that he's most likely going to post up, but if not he's going to sit in the corner or above the break. His first option is to catch and drive, or if not than catch and shoot. He'll pull up from the mid range, but not often. Maybe only a couple times a game at max.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

If he's driving from the corner or ATB and the defender stops his drive in the mid range area, he may stop and take a shot from there. That was definitely the case in DDS3- I had completely cut out Harden's mid range and made him shoot only 3s or post, and maxed drive. He would take about 5 mid ranges shots a game no matter what. That is definitely still the case here, even if your player isn't set to pull up jumpers often.

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

KW wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:52 pm If he's driving from the corner or ATB and the defender stops his drive in the mid range area, he may stop and take a shot from there. That was definitely the case in DDS3- I had completely cut out Harden's mid range and made him shoot only 3s or post, and maxed drive. He would take about 5 mid ranges shots a game no matter what. That is definitely still the case here, even if your player isn't set to pull up jumpers often.
I wonder what determines what happens to you when your drive is stopped. When you catch the ball the Floor Actions dictate what you are going to do. So what dictates your actions when you are standing there with no dribble? Perhaps scoring vs Passing rating?
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

logically, I would say SCR. It would explain Justise Winslow's shot chart. I was hoping that DriveShot/DrivePass ratio would dictate that, which is why I spent half my instructions this season pumping up his DrivePass, and while it has helped his assist numbers, it has not brought down the number of shots he's taking from outside the restricted area (72% of his shots come from 3-10 feet, which he only hits 41% of).

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

I haven't read this entire thread, but I can say that (in regards to the question that started this all) editing the floor range works for sure. I remember doing testing before the season, and there is a specific way you have to edit the floor range for it to work (have to edit it in the database, can't just edit it in commissioner mode, which is why we input instructions once a week). It definitely works. I tested having a player with 100 ATB play a season and then edited him to 100 corner for the season, and his shot chart was wildly different (as expected) between the two.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

I haven't read the entire thread either but Biz is spot on with jumpers in DDS3 and seems it might be the same here. Stopped drives seem to result in them even if the player is never meant to take a jumper.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027