League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

DDS23/24

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Re: DDS23/24

Post by drumr »

Silogical wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:27 am dont switch without a reason as 2026 might have some important fixes.

If you could run tests and put it on youtube that would be helpful.
There's actually a bunch of reviews online I think the Wobblegong makes a lot of them. He's in the fb leagues
Cleveland Cavaliers

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

I'd better try to win this season, then, as I won't be buying another WS game (and won't change opinion as I did with the last engine switch).
ImageImageImageImageImage

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

drumr wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:18 am
Silogical wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:27 am dont switch without a reason as 2026 might have some important fixes.

If you could run tests and put it on youtube that would be helpful.
There's actually a bunch of reviews online I think the Wobblegong makes a lot of them. He's in the fb leagues
do you have a link? here is a video and the engine looks exactly the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKkTT2T ... nagerGames

I remember when i 1st tested dds22(or 19) shooting seemed fine and it seemed like floor spacing was important to maximize your post play. Then we made some global changes and introduced the engine and shooting became an after thought. My point is 2024 is probably only cosmetic changes and the engine is the same it just feels different because they use different ratings.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

I’m open to an engine switch if tests indicate it’s actually a noticeable upgrade. My main concern is that we’ve been burned numerous times by Gary’s games in the past. That’s great that initial reviews of 24 are positive, but this isn’t the first (or second) time we’ve made a switch thinking it would be a nice upgrade. Gary tends to fix some things while breaking others at the same time (which we don’t discover until it’s too late).

I know the admin team will do their homework with respect to the new engine. No engine will be perfect, but if they do tests and think it will be a big positive, then I certainly trust their judgement.

That being said, I’d really like to see the CSL pick an engine and stick with it for a while. This is only the 4th CSL season we’ll be using DDS22. 4 seasons (~2 years) isn’t very long.
Best case scenario, the engine switch is a big success that fixes a lot of the annoying bugs and makes the game more enjoyable for most users. That’s great, but even in that scenario, a ton of work gets put into making the switch. The work by the admin team goes without saying (and it’s much appreciated). But there’s also a lot of work that has to be put in by each GM to learn the new engine. It takes a long time to learn what does/doesn’t work in the new engine.
Along those same lines, there is ALWAYS collateral damage when making an engine switch. Players/systems that worked great in the previous engine might be really nerfed in the new engine. A guy like Isaiah Taylor always comes to mind. He was a perennial all-star in DDS3, and got nerfed in DDS19. After a couple seasons, I figured out how to fix Taylor to some degree, and then he got nerfed big time again in the switch to 22. And this time he was unfixable. He’s not terrible, but nowhere near his previous heights.
It’s completely unintentional of course and some of it is unavoidable, but these switches alter franchises. Some teams will get lucky and profit from the switch, but it will be at the expense of other teams, which will undoubtedly be frustrating (especially for those teams that may have just started to turn their franchise around in the right direction).

TLDR: I’m okay with an engine switch if the admins think it will really benefit the CSL, but I’d really like us to pick an engine and stick with it for a while.

AlexS
General Manager

Post by AlexS »

I'm open for a switch!

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Open if it doesn't effect my players any
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame